Fixed Term 12 month opportunity
Based in Macquarie University – Hybrid work arrangement.
Opportunity to work a 9 day fortnight!
About the National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL)
NAL is a world leader in hearing research and evidence-based innovation to improve hearing health and transform the lives of people with hearing difficulties. NAL collaborates with organisations around the world to innovate on novel solutions to hearing health services and technology, conduct sophisticated validation trials on treatment benefit, and provide insight into the needs of people with hearing loss and clinicians who treat them. NAL’s research findings are published in leading peer-reviewed journals and its inventions are used worldwide. NAL is the research division of Hearing Australia.
As a Software Engineer for NAL your primary focus will be to design, build & refine software prototypes & bring our innovative ideas in our Smart Technology Portfolio to life.
Your ability to work in small, multi-disciplinary teams to rapidly develop prototypes will be vital in translating cutting-edge concepts into tangible solutions.
In addition, you’ll be tasked with the enhancement and upkeep of our existing software products, ensuring they continue to deliver optimal performance while meeting the changing needs of our users.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop innovative software to enhance NAL’s Smart Technology portfolio, driving the advancement of our software solutions to improve the lives of people with hearing loss.
- Actively participate in user discovery, ideation, and user testing processes to create products tailored to real-world needs and optimise the user experience.
- Maintain and enhance existing software products, ensuring their continued reliability and adapting them to emerging needs and technologies.
- Contribute to the complete product development lifecycle, from requirement analysis and design to testing and implementation.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, sharing your expertise and learning from others.
- Perform other duties to support the team, commensurate with the level of this position, as required, demonstrating adaptability and a collaborative spirit.
Ideal skills & experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline.
- 3 + years experience in developing iOS mobile applications(SwiftUi,Swift)
- Strong understanding of iOS/Android frameworks & API’s
- Proficient in Android development (Java or Kotlin)
- Experience with cloud storage solutions, such as Google Firebase or AWS
- Proficiency with machine learning and AI (Python) ) – Desirable
- Use of speech, audio and ML software frameworks) – Desirable
- Understanding of hearing and the auditory system) – Desirable
Why work for NAL?
NAL’s mission is to lead the world in hearing research and evidence-based innovation to improve hearing health and transform the lives of people with hearing difficulties. Our work is purpose-driven and everything we do is focused on having an impact on hearing health care and helping people with hearing difficulty. By working for NAL and Hearing Australia, you will be working to improve people’s lives.