Full-time permanent role
Based at the Australia Hearing Hub, Macquarie University
Competitive base salary plus 10.5% super
The National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL) is seeking a Head of Dept to lead its Operations and Finances Department, supporting high-impact research and innovation centre with a mission to improve hearing health care and the lives of people with hearing loss.
We are looking for a self-driven and motivated person with extensive operations and finance experience to join the NAL Leadership Team. You will work across the organisation to manage activities that include finances, project management, contracts, IP, commercialisation, and other needs for NAL’s operation. As a member of the Leadership Team, you will also participate in strategic planning, problem-solving, partnership building and other NAL-wide initiatives.
NAL is a world-leading research centre funded by the Australian government’s Dept of Health and is the research division of Hearing Australia. With a strong focus on applied and cross-disciplinary research, NAL enjoys a uniquely significant reputation as an international leader in audiology and hearing healthcare research and has had a worldwide impact on prevention and rehabilitation activities.
What we have to offer
- – 10.5% Super
- – Flexible work arrangement opportunities to support work, personal and family commitments
- – Free on-site Parking, Great facilities
- – Employee recognition awards program
- – Hearing aid discounts for employees and family members
- – Attractive employee benefits (salary sacrifice superannuation, HCF private health cover discount, well-being programs, salary packaging a new motor vehicle, discounts across an exciting range of retailers)
In this role, you will:
- – Support our mission and participate in strategic planning to help shape our research direction
- – Manage NAL’s multiple revenue streams and financial reporting
- – Lead the Project Management Office
- – Participate in research governance activities
- – Support and management of operational staff including dealing with any HR aspects
- – Working closely Hearing Australia’s finance, governance, and legal teams
- – Prepare annual budgets – operational and CAPEX
- – Monitor revenue and monthly financial performance
- – Manage the legal process and work where required with internal and external legal teams
- – Manage reporting the Government, Ethics Committee, the Hearing Australia Board, and other governance groups
- – Review and create agreements for sponsorship and contract research from a legal and financial perspective
- – Work closely with Hearing Australia’s Facilities Team to ensure NAL’s infrastructure requirements are met
- – Understand, adhere, and actively manage risk in your day-to-day work and escalate to the Director, NAL
- – At least 10 years of professional experience in similar roles
- – Experience managing finances of a research unit or similar
- – Experience managing operations of an organisation
- – Detail-oriented and task-focused
- – Experienced managed staff and mentoring and guiding to achieve success
- – Exceptional time management, facilitation, and organisational skills
- – Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- – Demonstrated ability to operate in a fast-moving environment
- – Knowledge of NHMRC guidelines governing research in Australia, knowledge of intellectual property in a research environment and knowledge of project management principles
Why work for NAL?
NAL’s mission is to lead the world in hearing research and evidence-based innovation to improve hearing health and transform the lives of people with hearing difficulties. Our work is purpose-driven and everything we do is focused on having an impact on hearing health care and helping people with hearing difficulty. By working for NAL and Hearing Australia, you will be working to improve people’s lives.