The National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL) was established in 1947 as the Commonwealth Acoustic Laboratories (CAL) to carry out research and deliver hearing services to children and war veterans. During the 1950s and 1960s, CAL’s hearing services were extended to more groups of clients. The name was changed to National Acoustic Laboratories in 1973.
In July 1992, the organisation was re-named Australian Hearing Services, becoming a Statutory Authority of the Commonwealth Government. Australian Hearing Services is now known as Hearing Australia. The research division retained its name of NAL to distinguish its research from the hearing services offered by Hearing Australia.