BA, MPHIL, PHD.
Teresa YC Ching, PhD is head of Communication Sciences Department at the National Acoustic Laboratories, Australia. As leader of Pediatric hearing loss research, she leads population-based research with the end goal of reducing the negative impact of childhood hearing loss on general health, developmental outcomes and quality of life. Her current research focuses on investigating efficacy of early intervention for improving outcomes of populations of children with bilateral hearing loss (Longitudinal outcomes of children with hearing impairment, or the LOCHI study www.outcomes.nal.gov.au ), efficacy of early fitting of hearing devices for unilateral hearing loss (the Children with Unilateral Hearing loss or the CUHL study www.cuhl.nal.gov.au ), determining factors influencing outcomes of children with hearing loss; evaluation of sound detection and discrimination in infants with hearing loss or auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder using cortical auditory evoked potential (CAEP) measurements and parental reports; and prescription of hearing aids and electric-acoustic stimulation (bimodal fitting) for children and adults. Teresa has published more than 150 peer-reviewed manuscripts. Key contributions from her original research findings include evidence-based protocols for bimodal fitting, pediatric referral for cochlear-implant-candidacy, CAEP and functional assessments for evaluation of the effectiveness of hearing devices for infants and young children; and methods for predicting language outcomes of infants with hearing loss. Most recently, she has co-produced with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community workers novel tools for early detection of hearing problems in young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children (www.plumandhats.nal.gov.au ). Teresa is regularly invited to deliver keynote presentations at international and national conferences. She serves on the editorial boards of several international journals.
- Ching TYC, Hou S, Seeto M, Harkus S, Ward M, Marnane V, Kong K. (2020). The Parents’ evaluation of Listening and Understanding Measure (PLUM): Development and normative data on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children below 6 years of age. Deafness & Education International.
- Ching TYC, Saetre-Turner M, Harkus S, Martin L, Ward M, Marnane V, Jones C, Collyer E, Khamchuang C, Kong K (2020): “The Hearing and Talking Scale (HATS): development and validation with young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in urban and remote settings in Australia”. Deafness & Education International, https://doi.org/10.1080/14643154.2020.1830241 .
- Ching TYC & Leigh G (2020). Considering the impact of Universal Newborn Hearing Screening and early intervention on language outcomes for children with congenital hearing loss. J Hearing, Balance and Communication.
- Ching TYC, Cupples L, Marnane V (2019). Early cognitive predictors of 9-year-old spoken language in children with mild to severe hearing loss using hearing aids. Frontiers in Psychology, 26 September 2019, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02180. http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02180/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Psychology&id=468884.
- Sharma R, Gu Y, Ching TYC, Marnane V, Parkinson B (2018). Economic evaluations of childhood hearing loss screening programs: a systematic review and critique. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, DOIi: 10.1007/s40258-018-00456-1.
- Porter A, Creed P, Hood M, Ching TYC (2018). Parental Decision-Making and Deaf Children: A Systematic Quantitative Literature Review”. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education.1-12. DOI:10.1093/deafed/eny019.
- Cupples L, Ching TYC, Leigh G, Martin L, Gunnourie M, Button L, Marnane V, Hou S, Zhang V, Flynn C, Van Buynder P (2018) Language development in deaf or hard-of-hearing children with additional disabilities: Type matters! Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. Article DOI: 10.1111/jir.12493.
- Ching TYC, Dillon H, Leigh G, Cupples L (2017). Learning from the Longitudinal Outcomes of Children with Hearing Impairment (LOCHI) study: summary of 5-year findings and implications. International Journal of Audiology. DOI: 10.1080/14992027.2017.1385865.
- Ching TYC, Zhang VW, Flynn C, Burns L, Button L, Hou S, McGhie K, Van Buynder P (2017). Factors influencing speech perception in noise for 5-year-old children using hearing aids or cochlear implants. International Journal of Audiology. DOI:10.1080/14992027.2017.1346307.
- Cupples L, Ching TYC, Button L, Seeto M, Zhang V, Whitfield J, Gunnourie M, Martin L, Marnane V (2017). Spoken language and everyday functioning in 5-year-old children using hearing aids or cochlear implants. International Journal of Audiology. DOI: 10.1080/14992027.2017.1370140.
- Incerti P, Ching TYC, Hou S, Van Buynder P, Flynn C, Cowan R (2017). Programming characteristics of cochlear implants in children: effects of etiology and age at implantation. International Journal of Audiology. DOI:10.1080/14992027.2017.1370139.
- Ching TYC, Zhang VW, Johnson EE, Van Buynder P, Hou S, Burns L, Button L, Flynn C, McGhie K (2017). Hearing aid fitting and developmental outcomes of children fit to either the NAL or the DSL prescription: fit to target, audibility, speech and language abilities. International Journal of Audiology. DOI: 10.1080/14992027.2017.1380851.
- Wong C, Ching TYC, Button L, Leigh G, Cupples L, Marnane V, Whitfield J, Gunnourie M, Martin L. (2017). The psychosocial development of 5-year-old children using hearing aids or cochlear implants. Trends in Hearing. DOI: 10.1177/2331216517710373.
- Ching TYC, Dillon H, Button L, Seeto M, Van Buynder P, Marnane V, Cupples L, Leigh G (2017). Age at intervention for permanent hearing loss and 5-year language outcomes. Pediatrics 140(3): e20164274.
- Wake M, Ching TYC, Wirth K, Poulakis Z, Mensah FK, Gold L, King A, Bryson HE, Reilly S, Rickards F (2016). Population outcomes of three approaches to detection of congenital hearing loss. Pediatrics 137(1), e20151722.
- Scarinci, N., Yanbay, E., Moore, E., Ching TYC. (2017). The parents’ perspective of the early diagnostic period of their child with hearing loss: information and support. International Journal of Audiology. DOI: 10.1080/14992027.2017.1301683.
- Ching TYC. Improving outcomes in cochlear implants: findings from the LOCHI study. Invited keynote presentation at the 14th European Symposium on Pediatric Cochlear Implantation, Bucharest, Romania, 16-19 Oct, 2019.
- Ching TYC. Early intervention: it’s worth the effort! Invited Workshop presentation, 14th European Symposium on Pediatric Cochlear Implantation, Bucharest, Romania, 16-19 Oct, 2019.
- Ching TYC. Early intervention for improving outcomes of children with hearing loss: the LOCHI study. Invited keynote presentation. Cochlear Symposium. 12th Asia Pacific Symposium on Cochlear Implants and Related Sciences. 27-30 Nov., 2019.
- Leigh G and Ching TYC. The changing landscape of language outcomes for deaf and hard of hearing children: The view from 2020. Invited keynote presentation. Perspectives on Language in Children with Hearing Loss, 20-21 August, 2020. Macquarie University.
- Ching TYC. Language, reading, and psychosocial outcomes in children with hearing loss: the LOCHI study. Invited presentation. Victoria Deaf Education Institute, 26th August, 2020.
- Ching TYC. Longitudinal outcomes of children with hearing loss: the LOCHI study. Invited presentation. Itinerant Teachers of the Deaf Conference, 11th September, 2020.
- Ching TYC. The LOCHI study: speech discrimination and ecological momentary analysis of listening in real life. Invited presentation. CI Futures Forum, CI Research at a Distance. 16th September, 2020.
Click here for a full list of publications.